Cinderella and the Four Knights
FEMALE LEAD(S): Park So Dam
GENRE: Romantic Comedy
MY SCORE: 6/10
WHAT LED ME TO IT?
- Who was I following? AHN JAE HYUN
- What had I just watched? BLOOD
- IF COMPLETED, how many times? ———- 2 ———-
- If I’ve watched it more than three times, chances are it’s one of my Top 6 Favorites!
WHAT DID I LIKE ABOUT IT?
- Like the title suggests, it’s a spin-off of the classic fairy tale Cinderella. So it stars a girl who lives with her evil stepmother and half-sister, whose father was led to believe the worst of his real daughter simply because he was never home long enough to have a nice, meaningful chat with her.
- Instead of one prince, there are three! With a personal butler to boot!
- Park So-dam has a beautiful smile.
WHAT DID I NOT LIKE ABOUT IT?
- I think it would have been better if Ahn Jae-hyun was the love match of Park So Dam. His features compliment Park So-dam so much better than Jung Il-woo’s did, though I understand why the latter was chosen as the match. JIW and PSD look like each other. However, it is not always true that couples who look like alike make a good match, and this was the perfect example. Don’t get me wrong. I didn’t want to change the story, just the actors playing the characters. Unfortunately for me, this oversight was enough to turn me off from watching the series a third time.
- Incidentally, Jung Il-woo matched Son Na-eun’s (Kang Hyun-min’s on-and-off girlfriend) features better, as well. Also, Jung Il-woo, with his aristocratic nose and sharp features, looks more the part as the eldest heir than Ahn Jae-hyun.
- Despite Ha-won’s success in “training” three grown men to become more responsible adults, the grandfather’s punishment for dating one of them was too harsh, in my opinion. Is marrying into the same social class still the most important thing?
QUESTIONS THAT AROSE REGARDING STORY AND OTHER DETAILS:
- If Eun Ha-won’s mother died before her father married Park Soo-kyung (the stepmother) and had Choi Yu-na (the half-sister), why does Ha-won call Yu-na unni?
- Who decides the poses in the official series poster? Kang Seo Woo (played by Lee Jung-shin) looks like he’s gay, but he’s really not. In fact, if his character was just a wee bit stronger, I would have rooted for him, too.
WILL I RECOMMEND IT? Yes. It is a light, romantic comedy, best watched as a break from serious or dark dramas.
Disclaimer: I am not an expert in film or Korean culture. In fact, I only started watching KDrama in 2016 and have just 48 completed shows under my belt. My writings are my own opinion and not the opinion of the majority. I enjoy shows that a lot of people don’t seem to like, and I dislike a lot of shows that are tagged as “Must Watch”. There are exceptions, of course. My point is, don’t bash the commentator.